Most people wish to frame their roofs using metals as they are long-lasting and extremely durable. The metal roofs are also visually appealing and are capable of boosting the curb appeal of the home considerably.
Metal roofs are the rage right now, but it is important to paint the metal roofs to enhance the overall appeal of the home. Involving professionals to paint the metal roof is going to consume a lot of money and resources. But it can I paint metal roof as a DIY project myself. Let us discuss how to paint metal roofs here.
Table of Contents
Can I Paint Metal Roof? Is It Possible To Paint Metal Roofs?
Yes, it is quite possible to paint the metal roofs. but it is highly recommended that the new and the unpainted metal roofs be allowed to weather for at least six months, before starting to paint them.
Also, it is mandatory to paint with an appropriate technique, by using the right type of paints, primers, and sealants. Following the right techniques helps in enhancing the life of the house, and also makes it energy efficient, apart from making it durable.
The Advantages Of Painting A Metal Roof
Painting metal roof renders a lot of benefits for the exteriors of the home. The inherent benefits of metal roof painting are as follows:
Metal roofs extend the lifespan of the roof, especially asphalt shingles. Painting the shingles roof extends both the lifespan of the roof and the home. Painting the metal roof can be carried out on both the old and the new roofs and also enhances energy efficiency. Painting the roof eliminates the need for replacing it for the next 20 years or so.
2. Energy Efficiency
Metal roofs are extremely sustainable and painting them with a light material, helps to decrease heat radiation. Painting them with high-quality paints lasts a long time. Metal roofing has also proven to absorb a lot of cold and heat and thus, by painting them, you are enhancing their ability to absorb more heat and cold, which is going to reflect on the energy bills.
Painting the roofs offers them a sort of insulation and decreases the demands of air-conditioning, as they cool down the home naturally. You will end up in a home that stays cool naturally and you also get to save energy bills. Indirectly, you are also decreasing the carbon footprint considerably.
3. Improves The Home Aesthetics
For painting the metal roofs, we can choose many different paint colors. Painting them in silver color helps to enhance the home aesthetics and painting them in green, helps to match the roof to the exteriors of the home.
Tools Required To Paint The Metal Roof
After you have decided to paint the metal roof, you will have to collect all the tools that you will require to carry out the painting project. The different tools required for painting the roofs are as follows:
- Primer, to prevent rusting of the metal roof
- Any color top coat
- Wire brush
- Brushes and rollers to paint
- Scrub brush
- Power cleaner and washer
Painting The Metal Roof
After you have decided to paint the metal roof, you will have to choose to use either oil-based or latex-based paint. It is also important to prepare the roof adequately, with the help of the pressure washing technique, and also use the primer, to start painting the metal roof. Here is the detailed discussion on painting the metal roof.
1. Preparing The Roof
Before starting to paint the roof, it is mandatory to prepare the roof for painting. To prepare the roof adequately, the first step is to remove the old paint and scrap off the loose paint. The best way to do this is to use a putty knife or a scraper. First, press the tool against the paint firmly, and make sure to not damage the metal sheath underneath.
After scraping off the old paint, give the roof a nice wash, with the help of a power washer. This helps to clean the roof and we also have to wait for it to dry, before starting the painting process.
2. Focus On The Safety Protocols
Safety should be a primary focus while starting to paint the metal roof. After collecting all the required equipment and the paint, the next step is to work on the safety precautions.
You can also decide on calling a friend for help. Try as much as possible to work using a ladder, rather than painting the roof by getting on to the top. Also, make sure to clear off the power lines that run overhead during the painting process.
You can also decide on wearing a harness with the help of a safety rope while reaching the roof. ensure to anchor the roof appropriately, either to a tree or to a part of the home, so that you stay safe while painting the roof.
3. Painting The Metal Roof
- Before starting the painting work, there are a few important things to consider and perform. It is important to choose an appropriate day and time to paint the roof. Choose fair-weather days to paint.
- The fall and spring seasons should be ideal times to paint the metal roof. The metal roofs could radiate a lot of heat during the summer months, thus it is ideal to work on the roof during the winter months.
- Try applying a coat of primer with the help of a brush or roller before starting to paint the metal roof.
- The primer has to be applied on the entire roof surface and the primer has to be dried for at least a day, before starting to paint.
- After the primer dries, a coat of paint should be applied to the entire roof surface. You have to allow at least an hour for the paint to dry, before applying another coat of paint. Make sure to choose paints that are oil based so that they last longer and stick efficiently onto the surface. You can also choose to paint the roof with acrylic and latex-based paints which are known for their appeal and durability.
4. Mistakes You Should Avoid While Painting The Roof
- There are a few mistakes to avoid while painting the roof to ensure that the process is completed easily and the paints last for a long time.
- The first mistake is not using a sealant. If the paint sealant is not used before painting the roof, then there are chances for the paint to peel off from the metal roof easily.
- The second mistake is painting the roof with leftover paint. It is not advisable to use leftover paints for roofs, as they generally require a special type of paint. You can use the leftover paint for the other areas of the home.
- The next mistake is the wrong choice of paint. It is important to choose an energy-efficient paint, preferably one with an elastomeric coating. These types of reflective paint will help in reflecting the sunlight appropriately and also helps to protect the house from leaks.
Step-By-Step Process Of Painting A Metal Roof
The first step is to collect all the tools and the required material, before starting the painting process. Buy a dedicated paint that is meant for painting and try to get some help from your family or friends. Here are the step-by-step instructions to follow while painting the metal roof:
Step 1: Ward off all the dirt and scrap off the old paint from the roof. Make sure the surface is neat and clean to start the painting process. You can also involve a pressure cleaning process to clean areas that are hard to reach.
Step 2: After cleaning and drying the roof thoroughly, you can start the painting process. Choose a pleasant day to start the painting process. Do not work on days that are too hot, windy, or rainy. The climatic conditions will have a significant effect on how the paint dries and sticks to the metal surface.
Step 3: The next important step is the application of primers. Applying a coat of primer on the surface will enhance the elegance and the look of the paint that gets applied later on.
Step 4: Start the painting process. Apply a single coat of paint first, and make sure to cover all the areas of the metal roof. After the cost dries, you can apply the second coat over it, for an ambience look.
Can You Paint Roof Shingles?
Roof shingles can also be painted and it helps in enhancing their life and appeal as well. Roof shingles are easier to paint, and they incur very little preparation time than other types of metal roofs. There are also many advantages of painting the roof shingles,
- Painting the roof shingles is more affordable than replacing the entire roof.
- Painting helps to enhance the appeal and aesthetics of broken and work-out roof shingles.
- Applying a coat of paint over the shingles will enhance its life, as the paint protects it from the harmful rays of the sun and harsh weather.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Q1. What type of paint should you use on a metal roof?
A1. There are many different colors that we can choose to paint the metal roof. Irrespective of the type of roof, such as steel roof, zinc roof, rib metal roof, etc., the type of paint should be chosen after seeking professional advice.
Q2. How much does it cost to paint a metal roof?
A2. Painting a metal roof will cost around $1.20 to $2.7 if you are getting it painted with the help of a professional. DIY painting projects will cost less, as you have to pay only for the paint and the tools.
Q3. What kind of paint should be used on a metal roof?
A3. There are a lot of paint options available to be used on metal roofs. You can seek help from a professional, who could guide you towards an ideal paint type.
Q4. Will metal roofs fade in color after some time?
A4. Metal roofs can fade over time, as they are exposed to harsh sunlight and endure rains. When they fade, you may have to paint them again. Generally, metal roof paints last atleast a decade, before demanding re-painting.
can i paint metal roof? [Conclusion]
It is not a tough task to paint the metal roof by self. You will have to gather all the required tools and equipment, prepare the roof and apply a coating of primer before starting the painting process. It is possible to follow the same technique to paint any type of roof, such as roofs made of tile, shingles, or metal.
If you are not confident in painting the roof by yourself, you can always call professional services to get the painting done. Painting a metal roof costs around $2 per sq. ft and you can sit back and relax as they get the work done.
Travis is a painter by profession. His valuable painting tips help customers know how to do painting hassle-free. He is an expert in handling painting tools and loves sharing his experiences with customers. Travis has been in the painting business for the past 20 years. He is now on the verge of early retirement, passing on the secrets.