If you are looking to switch to an airless paint sprayer, the first thing you want to know is how does an airless paint sprayer work? Both air and airless spray guns are efficient for painting projects. If you become proficient in using an airless spray gun for your project, you will be able to closely understand the benefits of an airless sprayer.
An airless system makes your job simpler and faster. This produces a smooth finish in your work. To get the best level of work with an airless sprayer, you need to be well-acquainted with the functioning of an airless sprayer. This article will describe the mechanism of airless sprayers and guide you through how to use an airless system.
Table of Contents
What Is An Airless Sprayer?
First, let’s clarify the concept of an airless system. An airless paint sprayer is a sprayer system used for a speedy and efficient painting project that sprays a high volume of paint. The sprayer functions at very high pressure – up to 3,000 psi. The specialty of the airless spray gun is that the tool uses an electric motor instead of an air compressor for atomization.
In addition, by producing a high-pressure spray pattern, the airless sprayer enables you to paint continuously and effortlessly on any surface. Airless sprayers are utilized for huge-volume applications since they are perfect for spraying any paint. This system is the ideal substitute for industrial and commercial projects.
Benefits Of Airless Sprayer
Airless sprayers offer you many benefits. This sprayer has its transfer and speed efficiency for high-viscosity paints. It allows the sprayer pressure to be adjusted as needed for the project. Some of the benefits of an airless sprayer are mentioned below:
- The significant benefit of an airless spray gun is it doesn’t have a large air compressor.
- An airless sprayer includes a piston pump and an attached electric motor; however, the machine is not overly heavy. It comes with a portable design, making it easy to use and carry. For larger projects, airless sprayers are very convenient.
- Airless paint sprayers deliver a smoother and cleaner finish compared to traditional sprayers.
- Airless sprayers are designed with better mechanisms, which enables the sprayer to perform a higher level of work. As a result of this, fewer touch-ups are required. Besides, the airless sprayer is easy to clean after completing the task.
- If you want to speed up the painting process, as well as expect a better effect, it’s best to use a sprayer that produces high pressure. And airless paint sprayers are able to generate high pressure, which is a special advantage of it. However, there is a risk of overspray during spraying. But you can control the pressure and maintain the safe use of the machine on your target product, even with thick paint.
How Does An Airless Paint Sprayer Work?
- An airless sprayer produces high pressure because it doesn’t utilize an air compressor. It does not operate the same way as a standard sprayer, pushing a pressured block of air through the spray tip. Using a stream of air, a pneumatic sprayer creates an area of low pressure that pulls paint into the flow.
- The paint is carried to the surface by an aerosolized mixture of paint and air produced by the atomizer. During the procedure, there is a chance that the painted surface can develop bubbles and flaws, which could be damaging to the final product’s quality.
- You can notice a significant difference in the finish quality between painting jobs done using high-volume, low-pressure sprayers and airless paint sprayers. A motor performs a similar function in an airless sprayer to generate pressure within the paint. The paint is driven through the gun’s tip as it compresses, turning into an aerosol.
Brief Description Of The Work Of The Airless Paint Sprayer
- In the case of painting with an airless sprayer, a pump is used more than 200 times to bring the paint under the pressure of the sprayer.
- After opening the sprayer, an airless tip of the right size is selected to allow the paint to spray properly.
- The flow rate and the width of the spray jet depend entirely on the spray tip.
How To Use An Airless Paint Sprayer?
Step 1: Build A Setup For Drawing Paint
The method of spraying with an airless sprayer is the same as with the pneumatic variant. There is nothing different in it. Build your setup using the attached suction tube and a bucket of paint. Then start drawing paint via it.
Step 2: Keep A Short Distance
Stand at a short distance from the surface for spraying. If you spray standing too close to the surface, the paint will not stick properly, and the quality of the finish will be affected. That is why keep some distance between your target area and the machine. Then point and spray on the target surface.
Step 3: Choose The Right Spray Tip
Use the right spray tip for spraying. This is because the paint will flow in a fan pattern depending on the spray tip you choose.
Step 4: Adjust The Length Of The Hose
You can adjust the length of the sprayer hose as well as the pressure of the machine as needed. You have to get full coverage. Your painting project should look the same all around, and for this, you should go in overlapping swaths.
Step 5: Keep The Sprayer Clean
There will be some overspray during painting, as the paint will float in the air. And the airless sprayer will make the work area a little more messy, which you will have to take the trouble of cleaning after the task is completed. After the project is accomplished, keep the sprayer clean as well.
Difference Between Handheld And Professional Airless Paint Sprayer
1. Handheld Paint Sprayer
Household sprayers are built specifically for simpler DIY home tasks, like tables, desks, small cabinets, etc. This kind of sprayer typically runs on batteries and a small motor.
Since the nozzles are often smaller, they can only handle low-viscosity paints. Larger painting projects, like walls, houses, etc., are not ideal for handheld sprayers.
2. Professional Airless Paint Sprayer
Professional airless paint sprayers come with large motors and large nozzles. They are intended for substantial undertakings like buildings, automobiles, etc. Professional sprayers can give excellent coverage with less physical effort while working with high-viscosity paints.
The device is perfect for trimming, finishing work, and painting larger cabinets. Professional airless paint sprayers are best for complex applications for excellent precision, quickness, and flawless finish. HVLP spray guns are an example of a top-selling professional airless paint sprayer.
An airless paint sprayer is an excellent device to have in the home. It has become an essential tool even for professional painters. Your present and future demands will determine the sprayer you should select. Pick a model that will last for five to ten years.
After each usage, properly flush the pump, hoses, and spray nozzle of the spray gun with fresh water to maintain the sprayer’s condition. When changing the sprayer’s filter, always do it according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Joseph is one of the leading team members of Modern Paint. He has excellent organizational skills and amazing work ethic. Joseph is a DIY enthusiast. He also likes to play music and give valuable advice to our team members.