Keeping a can in your hand, close to your body, and opening it with full pressure? The result! The paint inside spills out on your clothes! I’m sure that you would have never wanted this to happen. Keeping yourself safe before spilling out the color should always be a bit of a priority when it comes to using.
Opening Paint can is not a big challenge, but it also requires you to be delicate. You don’t need to have to open the paint can with your hands themselves. You can easily do this with the help of some appliances as well. You may not require a professional hand, but it’s important to open the cans correctly to ensure that it does not spill out.
Here is a quick guide on how to open paint can properly and how you can use it.
Table of Contents
How To Open Paint Can?
1. Slap The Base
Before you attempt any instrument, you may want to upset the paint can and slap its base grasping the paint can. This will help you break the seal and open the paint can shortly. Slapping the base of the paint can a couple of times open it eventually.
2. Use A Knife
For this stunt, you need a butter knife. All you have to do is slide the knife between the paint can and the top winding somewhat for breaking the seal. This ought to be done carefully so as not to damage the paint can.
3. Bang It
At times, banging a couple of times works. What you need to do is strike the paint’s cover can protect against a hard surface at around 45 degrees angle. By hard surface, we mean a counter or sink, for instance. Alternatively, you can hit the paint can or bottle with a hard article, for example, a wooden spoon. Don’t hit too hard, or the top will get harder to open.
4. Use Hot Water
This is another basic technique. All you have to do is drop high temp water on the top for a couple of moments. You can then grab the cover with a towel to open it up. Actually, heat causes the metal cover to expand, making it easier for you to break the seal.
5. Use A Paint Can Opener
If none of the strategies works, you can evaluate a paint can opener. This apparatus is intended for adults with neurological impairments. This will help you utilize less energy to open the paint can.
6. Use Traction
At times, your hands don’t have the necessary traction to get the cover opened. In this case, you can utilize a harsh towel, elastic gloves, or a damp wipe. You can also wrap an elastic band around the cover edge for extra traction. Then you should curve immovably, and the top will fall off.
7. Break The Seal
If you don’t have to utilize the top again, we propose that you make it disappear. What you need to do is pry the cover open. Another way is to poke holes in the paint can cover for breaking the seal. If you don’t have a container opener, you can utilize a spoon.
8. Wear Your Tap Shoes
At times, food particles are stayed the container or paint can cover. To remove the food particles, all you have to do is tap on the paint can top. As a rule, this strategy works well.
9. Use The Nutcracker
If you have a major paint can with a rugged cover, you need a pair of forceps. This will assist you with releasing the paint can seal and get the cover taken out.
10. A flathead screwdriver
A Flatdhead screwdriver is one of the best choices that you want to open up the paint can safely. However, you need to remember that application of too much pressure might damage the can. It is thus very important to understand about how much of pressure to apply before you destroy the can.
To do this perfectly, you will have to place the head of the screwdriver in the gap. Now you can lift the can up gently and get immediate results. You can continue circulation all around till you remove the whole lid.
11. The 6-in-1 Tool
One of the best devices which you can use for the painter’s tool is the 6-in-1 Too. This is a specialized device which includes multiple tools in a single set. It might also include a separate can opener which will help you to get the right results.
For accurate results, you will have to start by putting the short and flat part of the tool. You will have to place it just around the crack in the middle and then you can lift the lid. This will allow you to apply proper pressure and you can rotate around to open the lid.
What To Do With Leftover Paint?
Have a gander at how much paint is left in the can. If you worked really hard on estimating, then you may have just a little paint left. If this is the case, then attempt to go through it by overpainting areas recently painted.
Think about continuing/to store a combination of extra paints for future paint projects. The mixture will, in general, be a neutral mix and may be usable for undercoats.
At the point when you store to paint the opening ought to be covered with plastic wrap. Then close the cover and utilize a mallet to seal the top. Store the paint can make topsy turvy forestall drying out and store in a cool, dry area.
If you have a mutiple/3 gallon of latex-based paint, you may have the option to swap for another tone through local paint swapping programs. You may also discover an organization, for example, a congregation, secondary school drama department, Habitat for Humanity chapter, or local gathering that will accept donations.
Things You Must Know Before Painting
Picking a tone can be done in a variety of ways. For example, you can initially start by selecting a shading family that suits your taste.
For example, the blue shading family will have various shades inside it, as will a yellow shading family.
- When you pick a shade, there are various complementary tones to feature your shading plan. For example, blue and orange are complementary tones.
- Many determinations can be made available to you.
- When you pick a shade of paint, it may also be available in various completions that give the shading a novel sheen, for example, a matte completion or a metallic completion.
- The second reason your home’s outside wall paint fills is a practical need. Similarly, as your house is a safeguard for you, the paints utilized on your home’s exterior walls fill a defensive necessity.
- Similarly, as you would care for yourself and your family, your house is a construction that should be taken care of.
- Painting the outside of your home at first can appear to be complicated. Anyway, it is pretty much an essential strategy when you remember a few basics.
In case the exterior paint you used is left and now you are thinking to use the leftover paint inside of your home. Then before doing this you must read this article on can you use exterior paint indoors.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Q1. How to open a Behr paint can?
A1. If you wish to open the Behr paint can properly, you can follow these steps mentioned below:
1. Start by unscrewing the smaller circle cap which is present. Start by rotating counter-clockwise with a 1/4 turn. This will allow breaking the seal.
2. You will now have to attach the spout to the mouth of the can. Now you and press a screw and then turn it clockwise with a 1/4 turn.
3. You will now be able to pour the paint safely and use this accordingly.
Q2. How to open wood stain can?
A2. If you want to open the wood stain can, here are a few steps that you can follow.
1. The first thing that you need to do is to place the tip of the screwdriver right at the middle of the can. You can place it around the outer lip of the lid. Make sure that it applies some pressure on the rim as well.
2. The next step is to press down the handle of the screwdriver. The goal is to pry the lid upwards which will provide a good result for your needs. Make sure that the pressure is applied at the correct point.
3. Start by rotating the can and then you have to repeat the entire process. Make sure that you go slowly and move the lid every inch until it is fully loose.
Q3. How to open Kilz primer?
A3. If you are opening a large 5 gallon bucket of Kilz Primer, you can do it by following a few steps. However, you need to be extra careful while doing this because you will have to place them on the correct point to protect from wrong application.
You will have to take the use of a screwdriver or a wrench and then put them on the fingertips. You can now slide them under the rims while providing the right pressure. Once done, you can easily push the fingers to slightly push the rim. You can easily open the Kilz primer easily with this.
Q4. How to open a bucket of paint?
A4. The process of opening the bucket of paint involves a lot of steps which might help you in providing the quickest solution.
1. You will have to start by removing the lid at first. To do this, you will have to pick the notch at first. You may easily find this at the rim of the bucket. You will have to find a part of the rim that is different from the rest.
2. You can now start by pulling the tabs. This will take out a bit of effort because you will have to use two hands to pull back the bucket of paint. Use both of your hands which will have to get the right protection.
3. The last thing that you need to do is to take out the Bucket Spout. This is an opening that is much easier to access and to get the right results. It will help you with pouring and also opening the bucket properly.
Q5. How to open a paint can with plastic lid?
A5. The best way to get this done is to take the help of a 3-in-1 or the help of a 5-in-1 tool which you can use. All that you need to do is to place it in-between the lid and then you will have to slowly pull down on the handle of the tool. You can do this with the plastic lid and you can use a safety tool as an alternative.
Q6. How to close a can of paint?
A6. You can easily close the can of paint and then you might not have to work on it for much. However, sealing it back to the original position is an important aspect of it. To do this, you will have to line up the lid and then place eon foot on the can. Now you can turn the foot up to ninety degrees and get the right result for closing the can of paint.
Using the paint will help you to get an amazing result. You can obviously take the help of the screwdriver or multiple other utensils, which will help you open the paint can lids properly. Make sure that you are not applying too much pressure while opening the jar bottle.
In case you are applying more pressure, the bottle might break out in just a few seconds. Make sure that you keep it in a safe and proper area before using the paint can. So, this was our article on how to open paint can. We hope it helps you to open the paint can the right way.
Travis is a painter by profession. His valuable painting tips help customers know how to do painting hassle-free. He is an expert in handling painting tools and loves sharing his experiences with customers. Travis has been in the painting business for the past 20 years. He is now on the verge of early retirement, passing on the secrets.