It is to be expected that some lovers of material as virtuous as concrete will be conflicted, due to the lack of joy that reflects its serious colour.
However, for some time this field of the market has benefited from the arrival of all kinds of colors manufactured in order to achieve that painted concrete patio with which we dream so much.
Now, there are all sorts of colors available in the market for you to decorate your concrete Patios. All you need is to learn how to paint concrete patios and you are good to go.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Knowing Your Concrete Patio
1. What Is A Concrete Patio?
These are paints made specifically to paint concrete floors, as well as concrete surfaces, which are ideal for both interiors and exteriors because they withstand moisture and wear.
- Although these types of paints are still being made, the truth is that most paints on the market are appropriate for painting concrete floors.
- As long as they are chosen taking into account the particularities of each application and the state current of the material.
2. Advantages Of Using It
Although there is a certain variety in the market for painting concrete, most paints share some virtues that remain after their easy application, an aspect in which they all coincide.
- We can start with the fact that concrete paints provide a waterproof layer that makes these floors resistant to both moisture and the constant wear and tear of water.
- Likewise, the impact of the weather on the surfaces is diminished by means of suitable exterior paints.
- In this way, it is possible to extend the life of a material that is characterized by being extremely resistant and durable.
- Finally, and as it cannot be absent from a usually gray material, aesthetics are guaranteed by adding bright and cheerful colors. For its part, painted concrete can be a very good idea in the face of unattractive stains on the surface, but that resists coming off.
Part 2: Clean-Up Before Painting Concrete Floors Outside
1. Clean The Surface
- Nicely clean the surface of the concrete with hot water and soap.
- Now sweep any leaves or dirt which might be present on the surface.
2. Clean Out Any Dirt
- Now clean any dirt, residue, or grime that is attached to the concrete. Don’t worry about the places that might be there, as long as they are fixed and there won’t be some kind of object embedded in the surface.
- The surface should be clean and clear so that it can be perfectly covered later with paint.
3. Eliminate Dense Areas Of Oil
You can do it by using 2 trisodium phosphate (TSP) to ensure that the color will dissolve later. You can find TSP in most stores for home improvement.
- Just mix with a proportion of water and it will clean any oil or stain.
- After properly removing stains, wait for the surface to completely dry before doing any further steps.
4. Patch Concrete
- You should now patch up concrete to repair any major defects such as cracks.
- Concrete should be as regular and uniform as possible.
- There shouldn’t be any cracks because moisture can get collected under the paint.
Part 3: Steps To Apply Paint On Concrete Patios?
After the complications that can be caused by installing our concrete surfaces, we can take a break and rest in a task that is quite simple, so anyone could paint concrete floors:
- Before proceeding to paint it is necessary to prepare the surface and the support.
- This will prevent bad adhesions or changes at the last minute, which is not convenient for fast-drying paint.
- With this in mind, clear the area to be painted so that it does not contain badly removed paint or traces of dust.
- Finally, wait for the surface to dry completely.
When applying the finish, we must bear in mind that it will determine not only the color but also the mechanical resistance capabilities against rolling and trafficability.
3. Varnish and Paint
Although it is a step that many put aside, the varnish layer is always necessary, since it provides a layer of more shine to the paint and, in addition, prolongs its durability.
Part 4: How To Paint Concrete Patios?
1. First Start Applying The Primer
- Make sure that the Patio is not wet before you start painting it.
- Dip one of your thinner brushes in the primer and first apply it to the edges of the Patio.
- After completing the edges, you can apply the primer to the rest of the remaining part with the help of a thicker brush or a roller.
- Now after applying the primer on the Patio, leave it to dry for some time. In the meanwhile, you can wash your brushes or rollers for the next phase.
2. Now It’s Time To Apply Paint
- Pour the required amount of paint in the paint tray and take a thinner brush and coat it with the paint. Now, start painting the edges or hard-to-reach areas of the Patio first.
- Take a roller or thick brush and start painting outdoor concrete patio with paint.
- Make sure that you leave some areas for free movement for yourself. You can paint these leftover areas at the last.
3. This Was Just The First Session Of The Coating
Let the paint dry and then repeat the same steps to get the better coating on the Patio.
- After getting the desired coating of paint on the Patio, leave it for drying.
Part 5: What Types Of Paints Should We Apply To Concrete Floors?
This type of paint stands out in the market thanks to its resistance under different conditions, as well as its easy application. It can be a perfect alternative if you are looking to renovate deteriorated places in your home.
- Although it is intended for painting concrete walls and floors, it is not recommended for outdoor areas.
- On the other hand, inside the home, it provides great results, thanks to the fact that it is a high-quality paint.
- Its thickness can be greater than that of many varnishes, so it has sufficient resistance for walkways, exposed to constant wear, thanks to its non-slip properties.
- Patio Epoxy paints are not only resistant, but they also offer a waterproof film that makes concrete surfaces resistant to water and moisture. Likewise, they are paintings that are not affected by the sudden change in temperatures.
One of the greatest virtues of this type of paint when painting concrete floors is its level of adaptability to paints such as epoxy.
- For its part, it also has a shock-absorbing nature that allows it to absorb impacts and strong resistance to aggressiveness and exposure to certain chemicals.
- Polyurethane paint is an investment for the future thanks to its great durability, not to mention that when applied it does not require much effort.
- To the extensive catalog of advantages of this paint, we can add the ability to offer both matt and glossy finishes in an excellent way.
- In addition to this, since it is an easy-to-clean paint, it is usually applied to establishments aimed at health areas such as pharmacies or chemical industries, because it does not dissolve easily when exposed to chemicals.
3. Chlorine Rubber
As its name indicates, it is a paint obtained from the dissolution of rubber, either of natural or synthetic origin, as well as other resins, which are then exposed to chlorine treatment.
- It can be an optimal alternative if what you are looking for is a correct adhesion to iron surfaces, due to the fact that it dries quite quickly.
- For its part, its impermeability prevents wear or oxidation of the surfaces.
- Painting concrete patio floors with this chlorinated rubber gives the surface resistance to wear, so it can be applied in areas of the house such as the garage.
- In the same way, the areas near the patio can be benefited thanks to their fungicidal nature, which prevents the spread of fungi and microorganisms.
4. Acrylic Paint
For best results on exterior concrete surfaces, select 100% acrylics.
- They breathe well and allow water vapor to escape.
- Avoid oil paints as surfaces containing cement are usually strongly alkaline and can quickly wash off the paint.
- If the surface has a lot of small cracks, a better option is often an j without resins, which is a thicker, more flexible version of regular acrylic paint.
- Please note this option has a cost! In the end, it will cost 2-3 times more than standard acrylic paint.
6. Alkyde Paint
Alkyd paint is made of alkyd resins dissolved in water. It has the advantages of acrylic paint and glycero paint.
- It is known to be less toxic than previous paints, it provides very high resistance and high covering power.
- Very easy to dry, so it seems ideal for a concrete wall application or on the ground outside.
In case you are planning to buy paint for your concrete patio then we have something for you. This article reviews the Best Paint For Concrete Patio. It will help you choose the perfect one for yourself.
How to repaint a concrete porch?
If you already have a porch painted with concrete and you wish to repaint it, you can follow a few steps that will help you to do so. You can follow these steps mentioned below:
The first thing that you need to do is to clean the concrete surface. Here, you will be able to clean the dirt off the surface with the help of a dry cloth.
The next thing that you need to do is to take the help of a caulk. You need to prepare these materials and then patch up the crack with the caulk.
The next thing that you need to do is to etch the concrete. In order to do this properly, you will have to follow the instructions properly.
The next thing that you need to do is to apply the concrete paint primer. You have to apply this apart on the previous firm. Make sure that it maintains uniformity.
The next key thing that you need to consider is the option of having a base colour. Apply two coats of base layer while maintaining the uniformity of the porch.
Now you can take the help of a stencil or a sealant which makes it much efficient to use. Make sure that you follow a few application techniques properly for application.
Frequently Asked Questions [FAQs]
Q1. What color should I paint my concrete porch?
A1. The best way to paint your concrete porch is to apply an attractive option which you need to consider. The best way to get the right results is with painting something brighter or bright colours. It is always important to paint the concrete porch on the brighter side because of the color combinations. Try to pick out a combination of White or Yellow which makes this much more attractive to use.
Q2. What is the best paint for cement porch?
A2. Cement porch could be a difficult approach that you need to consider while painting. Probably the best option to go for would be Epoxy Paint. This is mainly because they offer a high durability and stain resistance. With the help of this, you would be able to make it ideal for patio floors.
Q3. Is it better to paint or stain concrete patio?
A3. When it comes to the difference between stain and paint on concrete floors, there is a major difference. When you paint a coat, it forms a thin film which seals the surface. This will trap moisture and start damaging the concrete. However, when it comes to the stain paint, this is technically better for your concrete floor. This is simply because it offers you a better surface without sealing it. This will enable free flow of moisture and will not damage the surface.
Q4. How long does painted concrete last?
A4. The lifespan of the painted concrete is definitely good. However, it also depends on the exposure to moisture and dirt. Still you can consider that the concrete pain can last for atleast 3-5 years. Some of them might have a better durability depending on the environment. If you keep the area protected, it may last a bit longer.
Q5. How long does it take porch paint to dry?
A5. The process of pain dry can be extremely long and it might also depend on the exposure to moisture. However, it will be fair to say that the coat will be dry to touch inside an hour. However, it is easier and much safer to use if you allow at least 4-5 hours of time.
Q6. Should I use a roller or paint sprayer to paint the concrete porch?
A6. If you are not a professional painter and just willing to work on the paint for concrete porch, try the roller. This is because it has a thick nap and you will be able to apply paint evenly to floors and walls. This nap is another name for the fabric used.
Q7. How To Get Spray Paint Off Concrete?
A7. You can try out several tools to get the paint off concrete. However, it is a lengthy process and you must require every tool in hand. The most common ways to remove the paint stain is by suing spray oven cleaner or paint thinner.
This was all about how to paint concrete patios. The concrete painted patios dry in around 24 hours. So, you will be able to walk on it but don’t put any much heavier objects on it for a few days. Concrete Porch Painting might look like a lot of work at the beginning but it is not that hard to paint. It can be fun if you do it perfectly and the result of your hard work will be a delight to watch.
Travis is a painter by profession. His valuable painting tips help customers know how to do painting hassle-free. He is an expert in handling painting tools and loves sharing his experiences with customers. Travis has been in the painting business for the past 20 years. He is now on the verge of early retirement, passing on the secrets.